Students will dig through buckets of sand to find task card capsules to complete.
* Toy Capsules - I ordered mine off of Ebay (I made an offer and got them for $8.50).
* Task Cards - The sky's the limit! I just printed some Super Teacher worksheets and cut out the problems. Amber Polk from Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher has some really cute free math task cards for 3-4th grade here.
* Sand - It's probably ridiculous that I did this, but I purchased sand at Lowe's for about $3 a bag. One bag was more than plenty.
Preparation:1) Prepare task cards.
2) Fold them into the capsules.
3) Pour sand and add capsules in intervals. I added 12 capsules to each bucket because my capsules are fairly small.
4) Get ready for sun in the fun!
I plan on having my students work their problems out with chalk on the sidewalk. I don't have answer keys, so they will use calculators to check their work.
Should be fun!
Do you have any cool outdoor math activities you could share with me? I need around 8. Thanks! Hope your week is going well!